Sunday, September 21, 2008

Definite Maybe

I love English from as long as I can remember.. I found the lessons really interesting in school.. I have a fascination for the language. I still have all my English textbooks from high school and I read them often (even the enormous amount of notes and references in the most minuscule scrawl possible- i had SO much to cram in!)
That's a post it note! It's not top secret but I doubt if anyone other than me can read that!
PS: there is stuff written on the other side as well :)

My english textbook :)

Shakespeare, Lord Byron, the whole lot.. Reading up about their lives, what they were going though in life which made them write what they wrote... All that just excited and interested me! (Still does.)



Well, that is why I am really glad I studied in CBSE for a while. I got to like the subject, my teachers taught us pretty well, too (-that makes a difference, believe me!)

Then I switched to state board. The standard of English was SO LOW! I was so disappointed! It was really kid stuff! But somehow I tried to look at the positive side and make the best of whatever I had.. In the first exam, I tried. I really did. I answered my paper well. Gave it my best shot. My marks were sad. Well they were okay, but the people who mugged the lessons got better marks- which was when I lost interest. I too started doing that for the forthcoming exams. Read the textbook once and answer the paper in EXACT stuff (word vomit, if u ask me! ).. There were no group discussions, no speeches, no book reviews, nothing!! :(



I think this was why I stopped reading novels as well. I still like English though. And I want to improve on my grammar, vocabulary, everything!



I have no one to blame but me, though. It is my life..



So from today, i am going to make an effort. A genuine effort.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My! My! you are quite the crazy girl :) All CBSE ppl say the same thing :P i have my PU texts only. the old syllabus which was borrowed from a friend and never returned has my favourite short story :)

Anonymous said...

also 'definitely maybe' is an album from Oasis :)

The Happy Human Jellyfish said...

Which is your favorite short story? I'm sure you can find it somewhere on the net..

And I did not know that the title was an album name, i just named it that coz i find oxymorons (which itself is an oxymoron) interesting.. :D :D

Anonymous said...

its Just Lather, thats all by Hernando Tellez. try finding it :)

The Happy Human Jellyfish said...

I read it. :)

sushi said...

water water everywhere..not a drop to drink..

i liked this poem very much!