
Kambala is traditionally a simple sport. The 'track' used for Kambala is a paddy field filled with slush. The contest generally takes place between two pairs of buffaloes, controlled by a whip-lashing farmer. In olden days, the winning pair of buffaloes were rewarded with coconuts and a bunch of plantains. But, Kambala today has become an organised, professional sport. People place massive amounts of bets on the winning buffaloes.
It was held practically next to my house- near my favourite hideout- the lake. It was so eventful!!

I hadn't even heard of a Kambala till I saw the posters and banners put up all over town.
The bufalloes aren't treated that well. They are whipped and angered so that they run the whole stretch.
The slushy mud flying everywhere- That was fun!!

After that, there was this tribal dance thing that we watched.

It was a first for me.
23 comments:
is it the same sport which was showed in Roadies 4.0 ??
but there were bulls instead of buffaloes :O
@ Peter
Oh yes, Petey, it is the same. :)
Hmmm sounds like fun... I'd love to be a kid again and practically jump in the mud myself and get myself really dirty :D :D
i miss those ol' days :(
sorry!! but where d u live??
i mean i havent known such a thing happening near my place or i wud sure go watch it :D
wow... great pics btw!!
must have been quite an experience :)
I remember the first Kambala I watched was just a day before my 10th prelims ,never had a chance to be a part of it again [but surely would love to]
By the way you could had invited:(
Ps : the tribal[?!] pic is great........
I wish the day would come when the buffaloes get hold of these men, whip em and make them run a race :D
Nice to see that such sports still exist in India. This is the real India :)
I can pay to see the same men being thrashed, instigated and made to run in that same slush. But I've even seen people who do all this and also treat their cattle well. That is what they need to do. For the sport, just like you say... run buffalo...run...
See you when I see you...:)
Interesting sport.
I want to play, and get mud all over myself :)
@ EVERYONE
I forgot to add this-
After the buffalo race, there is this tug of war they play in the slush. And some other game too. The filth is used to the max!! :D
@ Warm Sunshine
You still can, dear. You still can. Go to a football field when its raining. In ten minutes, you'll have enough mud on yourself!! :D
@ Richa
I live in Manipal, Karnataka. Kambala is a Dakshin Karnataka sport.
If you get an opportunity, do go. It is fun. I had fun. I never knew there was this thing and the next thing I know. There are three different types of races too. :D
Ah, I'm getting excited all over again!! :)
@ Pheonix
Thanks. I have plenty more rustic looking pics. The videos are so much more interesting but they take too long to upload so I chucked it!!
@ Vigneshwar
Kambalas are fun, aren't they? There is one this weekend at Pilikula. I heard while they were announcing the ones coming up.
I'm really sorry. I should have invited, I know.
The tribal guy was my favourite!! He was so full of life and totally enjoying what he was doing. He was a flame swallower. It was great to watch. Ah, I have it on video. It is SO awesome!! You should see it sometime!!
@ Twisted Elegance
Was that sarcastic again?
But yes, this is a part of India.
@ Pranav Kumar
They do. They treat their cattle really well. Except for the race time I guess. They buffaloes don't run unless they are real mad. They need to charge across the slush. Hence, they whip em. But after, they are really taken good care of. God! You should see how huge they are. Really well fed, healthy and strong. So you can't really judge.
@ Dishi
We'll do. Tug of war. Okay?
T was my first too..enjoyed a lot..the one on which ppl stand n a lot f water splashes was d best n last part-tribal dance,dat guy was simply awesome!!
Thanks 4 d company divie..
@ Sushi
Thanks for the kiss. ;)
Yeah. That guy was totally the best. He's gonna remain in my memory for long. Though my memory sucks.
mast pics there.. but wont the PETA people object???
@ Swayam
More on FB!!
They already are.
yea..thanks a lot 4 d kiss..That kiss put me in an extremely good mood n hence came the comment..
no no not even close to sarcasm :D
And did you bring back any souvenir from that race?? like a buffalo? :D :D
WOWOW!!!! :)
Sounds AWESOME!!!! :D
Wish I could go play in filth.
*sigh*
we have quite a diferent sport here where peeps are reqd to tame the bulls which are made untameable by making it drink alcohol and stuff!
@ Sush
You're welcome, hun.
@ Twisted Elegance
Go look in the mirror. That's why bringing back a buffalo fro you wasn't necessary.
@ Ki
:D
@ Shrav
Did I hear alcohol??????
Alcohol? Gimme!!
Post a Comment