
She entered the bus, slowly, carefully, cautiously.
Her hair, wasn't combed neatly or even cared for, but it had texture and it had shine. She was pretty in her own way. A diamond in the rough, if you may.
The people in the bus looked at at her, quite reprovingly at that, analyzing her every move. She picked out a seat by the window and sat there, quietly, without a word
People got back to doing their things. Talking. listening to music. Looking after their noisy children.
The bus started to move and the conductor went from seat to seat, collecting fares. He reached her seat.
She did not notice him.
"Ticket?", he asked, gruffly, indicating her to hand out the fare and announce her destination. She still did not notice him.
The conductor was getting impatient. He shouted, "Where do you want to go?".
No reply.
"You don't have any money, do you? Get out of the bus. NOW!"
She didn't budge. He yelled. And yelled some more. All the curses he could think of. The fact that she was a woman did not hold him back. She did not show any signs of caring or getting up from her seat.
He called for the cleaner. The cleaner tried to talk to her, in a voice which was so loud that it could be easily called screaming.
They came to the conclusion that she was deaf. And dumb. The cleaner went and got an umbrella. He started poking her with it, not stopping his screaming. Now, there was fear in her eyes. She did not know what to do. She had no clue what was going on. She was scared.
All the screaming and prodding confused her, frightened her. Her eyes begged them to stop.
I don't know what happened after that. Whether they finally managed to get her out of there. Or she herself decided to leave. She was still in the bus when I got off. They were still cursing.
It was after all....one ticket.
59 comments:
Hmmm..sad! Interesting read though. Wish you had stayed in the bus a little longer.
@ Equilibrium
They made all of us get off, shifted us into another bus.
what do u mean by shifted u into another bus? because of that one woman? i din undrstnd :-(
@ Sawan
After ten minutes (the whole journey takes 2 hours), they made all of us get off, get into another bus.
Now I don't know why they did this- because of the woman or because there was space in the other bus and they wanted to save on petrol.
Got me now?
PS: Welcome to my blog!! :D
hey divinediu,
good blog this. Still men dont know how to behave decently with a women in public....
do drop bi my blog too if you find it interestin
errr.. That's real weird!!
I guess the women was mentally disturbed or something, maybe!
But changing buses for her or for the fuel, both the reasons seem weird!
I.n.t.e.r.e.s.t.i.n.g!
That's all I can say.
@ buzzz
Your name reminded me of 'Karzzz'. (Insult NOT intended, though may appear to imply) :P :P
Yeah. It is sad, she is a human after all. :(
Thanks for liking my blog. :)
And for dropping by. Keep visiting. :)
@ Shrav
She is a human after all. Rich or poor. Mentally sound or not. We have to look out for one another. Do people have to have money or be related or be in a position of power to gain respect in this society? Are we so cruel to ostracize the poor so much? She wasn't doing any harm....
@ Disguise
T.h.a.n.k.y!! :)
Exactly dear!! But you should come down to Chennai and you'll see lots worse things..
But that's all gross and I don't think we can help it! :(
@ Shrav
I would never treat someone that way.
PS:I think it it wrong to spank children as well.
Well if one is allowed to travel without the ticket then you will see the whole bus sitting just like the woman the next day in the bus and refuse to take a ticket. The bus owner would have to sell the bus take some other occupation.
Rather than just looking at the torture meted out on that woman you could have spent that little money and could have got her a ticket....after all its just a ticket :)
@ twisted elegance
I know. I know. I know.
Guilty, as charged.
That was going through my head the whole time. I really wouldn't have minded paying up. But the commotion was too much.
I admit it, I have no guts. :(
lol! Don't be!
See lots and lots of things happen in this society. Not all of us can take it up and fight it. Only a select few are destined to do that. The thing we can do is we can restrain ourself from committing such acts.
and hey that is a cool effect on your picture. How did you do it?
@ twisted elegance
Well isn't destiny exactly. It is choice. We choose our level of involvement in these issues.
I wrote a blog post. :)
And about the picture...LOL-ed at your comment.
I did not use any effects on it. None at all.
PS: If you want a snap like that, when you click, MOVE. Simple. It blurs. Automatically. ;) That is what happened in there. :)
a good post for a good cause :-)
ah, u gave away your idea of shooting the perfect pics ;-)
@ Sawan
:P
Thanks?! :D :D
Check my new post. U got something there.
@ Sawan
Yaay! :D
But how, exactly, if I may ask?
Of course you may ask.
"Love Life... Or Not. I Really Don't Care!!" maybe a stage for you to express yourself. For me, its a place where I could read another person, someone whom I dont know, someone who might not make any difference in my life.. And for the same reason, I could debate with your views if I have to. Learning a new character has always a good cause!
Your posts have in one way or the other touched me, especially this one: "idontwanttotitlethisone".
Your comments let me know that there are people who would like to leave their impressions, who would like to express their view on my posts [many a time posts which has no meaning in other's life]. It definitely give me a feel that I am not alone. I feel more secure with the friendship we share [atlst I share with my readers which includes u] cos I have the advantage of anonymity! You just cant break my heart and walk away for the simple reason that I have no expectations from you! Yet you give me company through your posts and comments.
Wouldnt these reasons answer your qns or do you need more explanation?
@ Sawan
Wow. I am touched. *sniff*
I think that was the longest comment I have ever gotten.
Yeah, do debate! I admit I am prejudiced, sometimes. It's great to know someone will actually take the trouble to put their point across rather than just agree with everything I say! Or worse- just not comment. :P
Glad to hear idontwanttotitlethisone touched you. :)
Yes, I enjoy the anonymity as well. There is only ONE person in here who know me BEFORE my blog. I just gave the link in the spur-of-the-moment thing. It is just that if people you KNOW read the blog, then somehow, you hold back on some things.
Blogs are best kept anonymous. :)
Especially personal ones. :)
Yeah. Your comment did answer my question. And I'm glad I made a difference. :)
so, good night :-) m off to sleep!
@ Sawan
Sweet dreams!! :D
Thanks again. For the award. =)
Ok, well done :-)
as far as the matter of one ticket..
see, The public transport cannot actually allow ticket-less travelling for many reasons I wouldn 't get into; and scandilizing some1 is not corrct. But,
Looking at the situation, I would say,
This is complicated.
:-D
@ Express
This planet has-or rather had-a problem, which was this: most of
the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many
solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were
largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper,
which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green
pieces of paper that were unhappy.
-Quoted from "The Hitch Hiker's
Guide to the Galaxy" , Douglas Adams
Hey what is this TAG thingie?
@ twisted elegance
It is a set of questions/facts that you have to answer and then at the end of it you tag someone else. =)
Sounds like fun? Can I tag you? Pretty please..????
wow, thats a good one!
@ Meghna
Thanks!! Welcome to moi blog! :)
COME BACK! :P :P
i will do that tomorrow.. enter a girl's bus and sit there.. i wanna see the repercussions
@ Chriz
They will stop the bus and ask you to get off. :P
Unless of course, you're wearing a burkha.... :D
Tag me right away!
so should I answer all those questions that you have answered in that post or will you give me a new set of questions?
:-)
well, yes.
But are the small green peices od paper the matter that we talk of here?
what I meant by the comment was,
If u weigh the options, the conductor n cleaner were at fault, but if u give them the benefit of doubt, what would v do if v were in their position?
yes, we would be sensitive n jazz but that we still are and still none of us present there did anything to prevent it.
plus,
u dont know the end of it; so dont u think its kinda not fair to make a judgement?
but, shifting passengers 2 another bus 2 save on the fuel is an awesome thing to do.
so,
it is complicated.
@ twisted elegance
I'm tagging you with the tags I've got. :)
Go check out:
Ki's tag
Seven odd facts about me
Tagged!! Woohoo
@ Express
Little green pieces of paper:what is left of large green sheets of paper after you give them to children/dogs/shredders. :P
Yeah, I am not pointing fingers at anyone. Even I am at fault if I look at it that way. But the poking with an umbrella- you do that to cattle for God's sakes!! :O
Plus, no judgment made, story only narrated with a teeny bit of emotion. :)
Me loved the fuel saving idea too! :D
I liked it so much that I got down ASAP from bus 1 to get to bus 2 so I wouldn't have to stand for the remaining 1.5 hours of journey. :D
I say.
unbelievable.
and if nobody likes those green pieces of paper.......
can i have them?
@ diu
are the bus conductors really this cold hearted?
i shiver
@ deluded
Ah.FINALLY!!!
I have to go to your blog and grovel and sob for blog comments. :P
How despo is that?!?
Well, I can't generalize. This guy is.
I wan just thinking, if something happened and I had no family or money left, how miserable life would be. :(
He PRODDED her. I'm sorry but I just can't let that go out of my head. :(
I wouldn't want people prodding me like that. EVER.
*was
done with the tag :)
I guess the conductor would have allowed her 2 sit if she had spoken a word..at least where she wanted to go. But poking was too much..
@ Twisted Elegance
Yepp! I checked it out! :D
Commented too. :)
@ Sush
*applause*
You ACTUALLY commented after so many months of sneaking and peeping!!!!!!!!!
*whistles*
Okay! So I'm here for the first time..:D
This was a bit incomplete..I wish you could have stayed more longer..to knw why the girl didn't respond...
*Sigh*..nice blog thou hast.
I like yr template as well,mind telling me where you got it from?
@ Crystal
*Rolls out red carpet, offers squishy laZboy (you watch f.r.i.e.n.d.s , I assume?) and a can of chilled coke/glass of hot milk (whichever you prefer)*
Welcome!!!!! :D
A humble, but hearty welcome to my blog!! :D
If I did stay back to see what happened of the woman (she was middle aged-ish BTW), I don't know if I would have reached home. She would have probably gotten off the bus after an hour or so.
But then again, this wouldn't have affected my story in any way.
Thanks! I'm glad you liked my blog!
And the template!! Thanks!! Me <3 it too! :D
But the thing is, I edited the html a bit so that the advertisement of the blog wouldn't show. Also I don't remember whether or not it had a name, so, googling for it would be pretty pointless!! Sorry about that. :(
And.......... Come back!!
ok, i thot this is another fiction writer ;)
@ Divvyyuu
Fiction writing requires good imagination. :P
I can only narrate ;)
Diu! Okay this is excellent writing...and someone was moaning about having a crap blog? Drama Queen. :P
@ diu
thanks for the applause
just realized dat comment doesn't make ANY sense..
wat i wanted 2 say is dat conductor would have allowed travel all the way.. i mean dat bus change was probably bcos of her n not to save petrol!!
@ Ki
*blush*
Thanks!
I got so many encouraging comments from you guys on the ZOMG! post that I just had to put in some effort to come up with a decent post. And this one has 50+ comments.
You know what? I have a PJ set which has cats all over it. And says "drama queen". I get called that a lot. Hehe
*blush*
I love you
@ Sush
Awww...... Don't say that. It was coz of petrol. HOW can people be that way!??? :'(
*sniff*
Is it a true story? I m shocked.
@ Kiran Sawhney (still OMG)
It indeed is.
Sad, I know. :(
God! and this all just for ticket??
Does the ticket cost the fortune? And does human dignity cost less than that?
Ridiculous!
@ Lena
Sad, really sad. :(
Nicely written! :)
Speaking of ethics, I think the conductor and cleaner were just doing their job.
@ Alok
Ah, you're back!!
Thanky!!
Where did you disappear to? I thought you got bugged with my tag and stopped visiting!! :P
thats really disturbing.
very well written btw
and i love ur blog woman!
great going! :)
Thankyou!! You made my day orange!! =)
Post a Comment